So it has come to an end. On one hand, I am very proud of what my team and I accomplished in such a short amount of time. On the other hand, I think of how interesting this project could have gotten given a more generous time allowance. In the beginning, we were a bit nervous about “messing” with the Bible. Let’s face it, when it comes to books, few can claim to have had as much influence on society and how people live their lives as the Bible. Even those that are not of a Christian based religion are still affected by the Bible in America. “In God We Trust.” “One nation under God.” So many of the values this nation was founded upon started with “In the beginning…” It was important to us, as a team, to accomplish the goals of our project without lessening the integrity of the original message. I believe we did just that.
By placing our project on Facebook, we certainly made it accessible to our target audience. The young social networking crowd who is used to being served their information in bite sized posts and tweets, is precisely who we were targeting. Working on this project, I found myself having a renewed interest in the Bible, and wishing that I could have the rest of it served to me in bite sized manageable pieces. I began to realize, that even as a christian, I had never sat down and read the Bible. I have read parts of the Bible at a time, but never the whole thing in sequence. Instead, I had been fed bite sized chunks by Baptist preachers, sunday school teachers, and youth group leaders my whole life. In thinking of it that way, what we did, didn’t seem to be quite so scandalous or brave. Instead, I contend that we perhaps introduced the Bible to an audience that may or may not have ever been exposed to it. We, in essence, made the book of Genesis less intimidating, easier to follow, and easier to understand. I am very excited about our finished project.
By “finished,” of course, I mean our final submission for class. To truly feel like we finished it, I think we would have had to have completed rewriting the entire book of Genesis. Even then, though, I think might have left me with an unfinished feeling. I would love to see the entire Old Testament, or even the whole Bible, broken down in a similar way. I would like it to have links and indexes to make it easier to find references to people, places, and things. Given the time and resources, the scope of this project could have grown to be something quite impressive indeed.
As for my work this week, I spent a large percentage of my time trying to solve our Facebook issues. A lot of our feedback pointed out that they did not like that our posts were listed in reverse. Admittedly, we didn’t like it either. I spent a lot of time trying to debug it and make the chapters start at 1 and got to 45. Unfortunately, I could not find an easy fix. Instead, I wound up re-posting all of the posts in reverse order, and then deleting the original posts. It took a while, but I think it was important and worth it. I also spent some time reading over everything just to make sure everything was to my liking. As a whole, I think we worked pretty well together, everyone filled their niche in our group well, and our final project reflects that.